It is currently 22° (feels like 8°) in NYC and the only thing on my mind is summer. Palm fronds, tassels, and hints of blush pink are catching my eye...
1. Cedric Charlier Palm Leaf Sweater / This sweater has warm weather vibes written all over it.
2. Cave Collective Double Tassel Necklace / I've been wanting this necklace since I first came across it! I love the tassels and subtle blush color.
3. Palm Frond Artwork / If you can't go to the tropics, bring the tropics to you.
4. Fredericks & Mae Wire Tassel Keychain / A pretty tassel that makes finding your keys so much easier!
5. Marysia Swim Santa Monica Bikini / I love Marysia's scallop designs and am very tempted by this new silhouette.
6. J.Crew Ryan Sunglasses / J.Crew just launched sunglasses and I'm smitten with this blush pink, slightly-retro pair.
7. Kayu Cactus Clutch / Carry a piece of the desert with you no matter what type of weather.
8. Loeffler Randall Luz Heels / I have these in black and am thinking I need the nude as well! As a non-heel wearer, these are super comfortable and they add a touch of interest to a simple outfit.
9. Byredo Gypsy Water Lotion / I find fragrance to last so much longer when applied as a lotion and I've been coveting this famed scent from Byredo for a looong time.
10. Indego Africa Eyelash Basket / You can never have too many baskets for hiding things and I love this cute little guy!
See what else I'm currently coveting here.
This post has been a long time coming, and I'm so excited to finally share it with you. I've been making changes in my beauty routine for the past year or so - trying to implement as many natural (+ organic) products as I can. It started after I was introduced to a few 100% natural beauty brands, and was then pushed along even more once I read Skin Cleanse. Reading Skin Cleanse solidified what I already knew about the beauty industry and taught me a lot of new information, especially about how what you eat affects your skin. It's definitely a must-read if you are at all interested in natural beauty and skincare!
Once I decided that I wanted to implement these changes in my own routine, I found that it was hard to find good resources on where to buy, what to buy and more importantly, what actually works. After doing a lot of research and testing, I wanted to share with you my favorite brands and products, as well as my favorite places to shop for natural products. Luckily, more and more natural beauty brands are popping up and larger stores (Sephora, Nordstrom, etc.) are carrying more of them, so it's getting easier to find all-natural products. Also, there are a lot more "cool" natural brands with beautiful packaging, so the products look great sitting on your bathroom counter (which is important to some people, myself included!) in addition to working well.
And just to let you know, my whole routine is not 100% natural - I still use some products that have chemicals, but for the most part I try to choose natural when possible!
CLEANSERS + MASKS
I first dabbled in the natural beauty realm with cleansers, and more specifically the Tata Harper Regenerating Cleanser. I absolutely love this cleanser and always find myself coming back to it after trying others. It's exfoliating, but in a mild way so you can use it everyday. I also tried the Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask around the same time and can say that it lives up to its hype. I like to use it a few hours before a special event to make my skin more glowy, in addition to using it on a weekly basis. Bonus: it's also great as an overnight spot treatment.
Sometimes I want a gentler, calmer cleanser and for that I turn to Soul Sunday's Rice Wash Cleanser. It's a super simple and gentle formula and leaves your skin feeling clean, but not stripped. I also love the Earth Tu Face Face Wash for its simplicity.
I've never been a huge fan of facial wipes, although I seem like their perfect audience because there's nothing I want to do less at the end of the day than wash my face. However, that has all changed with my introduction to Lauren Napier's CLEANSE Wipes. My biggest issue with a lot of facial wipes are that I often feel that I need to wash my face after using them. These have the opposite effect - your skin feels clean super clean after using them and they smell fantastic. Consider me a convert!
SERUMS + OILS + MOISTURIZERS
I'm still trying to figure out all of the hype about facial sprays, but I do really like the Herbivore Rose Hibiscus Spray (you can tell based on how little is left!). It's a refreshing way to prep your skin, add moisture and use to freshen your skin throughout the day.
In terms of oils and serums, my favorites are Tata Harper Rejuvenanting Serum and Nude Skincare Rescue Oil. I absolutely love the scent of the Tata Harper Serum as well as the brightening look it gives my skin. I also love that it sinks into your skin really nicely and acts as a good layer under your daily moisturizer. I started using Nude's Rescue Oil this winter and I love the added layer of moisture it provides. It also has this way of evening everything out and calming my skin.
I haven't quite found my perfect all-natural moisturizer yet, but I've found a few good contenders. The best ones I've found are the Context Skincare Intensive Daily Moisturizer and Tata Harper Repairative Moisturizer. I love Tata's moisturizer, but I was ultimately looking for either a) a moisturizer with SPF or b) a great natural SPF to layer with it. I ended up coming across Context Skincare's Moisturizer, and while it isn't 100% natural, it has a lot of really great things going for it. I've been using it for three weeks now and really love it. It's unfussy and it smells great (my favorite part of any product).
Deodorant seems to be the one product that people are most interested in switching to all-natural. I came across Ambre Blends' natural deodorant while reading about Hannah Soboroff's beauty routine and thought I'd give it a try. Turns out it's fantastic and so much better than any other natural deodorant I've tried. It smells amazing and it actually works (I use the Ambre scented one). I also tried some of their essence oils and now wear their Ambre oil as my perfume (see below).
Body wash wasn't really a category I was looking to change, but one night I was in Whole Foods and I thought 'why not?' I had been using a body wash with shea butter so I decided to try Nubian Heritage's Raw Shea Butter Body Wash. I had read in Skin Cleanse that using raw shea butter is a lot better than refined shea butter because it's gone through less processing and hasn't lost it's inherent natural benefits. It's very moisturizing and I never have that dry skin feeling when I get out of the shower. They make a lot of different types of body wash and it's easy to find - I get mine at Whole Foods.
In terms of body moisturizing, I've never been a huge fan of lotions and have always preferred oils. I picked up The Honest Co. Organic Body Oil (also at Whole Foods) and love how quickly it sinks in. I highly recommend it if you are also not a fan of that greasy feeling some lotions can have. At night I love to use Weleda's Skin Food Creme on my hands. This guy is actually quite greasy, which is why I only use it at night, but it's super moisturizing. It's also great for your feet! During the day I carry around Grown Alchemist Vanilla + Orange Peel Hand Cream.
I've mentioned my love of RMS Beauty before and I still use their UnCoverup Concealer (shade 11), Lip2Cheek (Modest) and Living Luminzer. But, I just recently started using their Volumizing Mascara and I can't believe I waited so long to try it! I am obsessed. It leaves your lashes looking and feeling so natural - it doesn't weigh them down at all. RMS Beauty recently launched nail polish that I'm super anxious to try.
For lip balm, I love the Olio E Osso lip balms - I have No. 2 and No. 4. (ps. they also double as cheek tint!) On a recent trip to Nashville, I discovered the brand F.Miller and picked up their lip balm, which I now use almost everyday. It has a great gender-neutral vibe to it - perfect for dudes too.
As you all know, nail polish is a big part of my life and whenever possible, I try to use 5-free nail polishes, which are free of the 5 leading chemicals that are typically found in nail polishes (formaldehyde, dibutyl phthalate (DBP), toluene, formaldehyde resin, and camphor). There are a lot of 5-free polish brands nowadays and you honestly cannot tell the difference in quality or color. My favorites are Tenoverten and RGB Cosmetics (I wear Doll and Dove frequently). I'm eager to try RMS Beauty's new nail polishes as well as Habit Cosmetics, Côte and JINSoon polishes.
WHERE TO SHOP
Here are the places I like to shop for natural beauty + skincare: Whole Foods, The Stell, CAP Beauty, Tata Harper, Shen Beauty, Credo Beauty, Beautycounter, The Honest Company and Spirit Beauty Lounge
Whenever I'm unsure of a new product's ingredients, I search for it on Skin Deep Cosmetics Database so I can find out more about it.
A few products I have my eye on to try:
From left to right, top to bottom:
Agent Nateur Deodorant / Habit Cosmetics Nail Polish in Bardot / Beautycounter Lustro Face Oil 1 / Honest Beauty Younger Eye Cream / May Lindstrom Honey Mud Mask / Grown Alchemist Eye Makeup Remover / Vinter's Daughter Botanical Serum / Drunk Elephant Sheer Defense SPF / Beautycounter Eye Perfector
I'd love to hear about your favorite natural beauty brands + products! Let me know what you're loving, as well as if you have any questions about anything here!
Winter is officially here on the East coast and I cannot get enough of shearling pieces. It started with this fluffy pillow and then this shearling vest (thank you, new job) and has turned into a full-on obsession.
1. Loeffler Randall Shearling Vest (similar here and here)
2. Newbark Roma II Shearling Sandals
3. Loeffler Randall Shearling Industry Bag
4. Brother Vellies Sahara Shearling Slippers (also here)
5. Sea NY Denim Jacket with Shearling Collar
6. West Elm Mongolian Lamb Pillow
7. Carven Oversized Shearling Coat
8. No. 6 Fur Clogs (also here)
I've also had my eye on this shearling-esque Cienne NY Poncho for months now. And in case you're feeling extra spendy, here is the ultimate shearling coat.
Images - One, Two, Three, Four, Five
New year, new look - I'm excited to unveil a freshly redesigned Dreams + Jeans!
I've been meaning to update the look of this site for years and finally got around to it during yesterday's blizzard. I've made a few small changes, but overall everything is the same except with a shiny new coat of paint.
I've been running the blog on Squarespace since the early days and am happy to report that the transition from Squarespace 5 to Squarespace 7 could not have been more seamless. I highly recommend using Squarespace if you're looking to start a website or blog!
2015 was definitely not my year for blogging (hello, only posting 11 times), but I'm hoping to change that in 2016!
image by Jen Trahan
Our bedroom has remained quite unchanged over the past two years. I’ve had all these ideas of little changes to make and accessories to get, but never quite got around to completing. When Parachute Home approached me to test out some of their bedding, I knew it was just the right thing to finally pull our bedroom together.
I’ve been following along with Parachute for a long time—I admire their neutral aesthetic and overall mission—and was eager to try their bedding in our own home. I ended up picking the Venice Set in White Sateen (I’ve heard rave reviews of their Percale Set too!). The sateen fabric is really beautiful in person and feels very luxurious—just like you are staying in a great hotel.
As soon as I received my bedding, I was impressed with the packaging and all of the thoughtful little details, like a handwritten note from their founder, Ariel.
The duvet has lots of great details that help keep your insert in place and make making your bed that much easier. (Want expert advice on how to put on a duvet cover? They've got you covered.)
Because New York apartments tend to be on the smaller side, we spend a lot of time in our bedroom and it’s my favorite place to hang out on a weekend morning. I love sitting in bed for hours, pouring over magazines with a cup of coffee, and now it's that much better with the addition of our new bedding!
If you need me, I’ll be in bed!
photos by Jen Trahan
Now that the weather has gotten cooler, I've been wearing some iteration of the above outfit every day. I picked up those wide-leg jeans a few weeks ago and have been pleasantly surprised with how versatile they are! I'm planning on adding the white pair to my closet for spring and summer.
1. Topshop Jacket with Faux Fur / I love how the faux fur adds a bit of texture to this classic silhouette.
2. Clare Vivier Flat Clutch / The geometric print on this clutch is a great way to add interest to a neutral outfit. There's also a card case and passport holder in the same pattern, if you're looking for a smaller item. (P.S. use code GOBIG15 for up to 25% off your order at Shopbop!)
3. Madewell Wafflestitch Turtleneck Sweater / Oversized cozy sweaters are my favorite thing during winter, so I'm always stocking up on new options so I don't wear the same ones too many times! I'm not huge on turtlenecks so I like that this one has a shorter neck! (P.S. use code CALMDOWN for 25% off your order at Madewell!)
4. Club Monaco Thisbee Scarf / I've been looking for a classic scarf that isn't too bulky, but also keeps me super warm and this scarf does just that. I like the two-tone colorway that adds a little interest to it.
5. ASOS Chelsea Boots / After searching forever for a pair of chelsea boots, I finally landed on this pair from ASOS and now wear them almost every day.
6. J.Crew Rayner Wide-Leg Black Jeans / As I mentioned above, I'm obsessed with these jeans and have been wearing them constantly! I thought I'd maybe wear them a handful of times, but I keep reaching for them. A word of advice - size down! (P.S. use code HOLIDAY for 30% off your purchase at J.Crew!)